10 Useful Removal Tips
Before you move – utilities
Your gas, electric, water and telephone companies will all need to be informed of your move. It is a good idea to inform them of your removal day at least a week prior. They will then advise you as to taking relevant meter readings, or send a meter reader to your address on removal day
If you are packing up your property yourself, please follow these tips…
- Pack a room at a time, labeling each box with details of its contents and where it should be placed in your new home e.g. kitchen, bathroom, garage visibly mark “Fragile” on the outer surface of cartons do not mark all boxes with fragile only boxes which actually have fragile items inside. Be as detailed as you can it will make unpacking a good deal easier.
- Do not use packing tape directly on polished or painted wood surfaces. As removing the packing tape could spoil the surface.
- It is an idea to tape a sign on rooms in new house with names so corresponding boxes can be placed directly in these rooms.
- Remember to keep the load of your boxes sensible if possible to avoid any back injuries, put heavy objects in small boxes to make them easier to carry. Place lighter items in bigger boxes.
- Pack most important papers together, for instance birth and marriage certificates passports, and keep them in a safe place.
- Prior to packing cartons, you’ll need to wrap most items to guard them from scratching and shatter.
- Support the bottom of boxes with adhesive packing tape, Fill boxes securely and pack well to prevent the contents from moving during your move. Close up boxes securely with packing tape. Boxes should be no more than 30kg in weight
- Group records and CDs vertically in boxes do not stack them flat. Place weighty items in the bottom of the box and lighter items at the top. Detach tops and lids from jars and china and wrap them separately. Fasten any opened boxes and bottles before packing them to prevent spills and seepage.
- Where appropriate mark boxes that need to be a certain way up by marking the box with “THIS WAY UP”.
- Please remember to inform the Removal Masters if you have any special items, such as; plants, paintings, antiques, wine collections, pianos or any unusual large objects so that special arrangements can be made.
- There are a selection of supplies which can be obtained from Removal Masters including bubble wrap, foam peanuts and tissue paper (at an additional cost).
- Removal Masters do offer a packing service, please refer to our website for more information, or simply call us for a packing quote.
Please ensure that the loft or attic in your house is empty prior to the Removal Masters arriving, unless you have arranged for us to carry out this service, in which case you must provide boards and lighting.
When disassembling any furnishings, beds, wardrobes, etc. put all the screws nuts, bolts and accessories into a plastic bag along with any assembly instructions and attach this to the item itself.
Dismantling of self assembly furniture should be carried out prior to your removal day, unless you have arranged with the Removal Masters to undertake this when they arrive.
Start up kit
Prepare a “start-up kit”. This is a box that contains all the essential items for your first few hours in your new home and can make an enormous difference once you get to the other side.
A basic list of contents would be…
Sheets, towels, toiletries, phone, alarm clock, change of clothes, a torch, scissors, utility knife, mugs, instant coffee/tea, kettle, water and soft drinks, snacks, paper plates, plastic utensils, paper towels, bin liners a pot and pan, can and bottle opener, tumblers, dishwashing liquid, tea towel. toilet paper, soap, aspirin or ibuprofen, basic medical supplies, pencils and paper, local phone book, masking and/or PVC tape, and some basic tools.
Estate agents confirm
Remember to confirm a specific date and time with your estate agents to collect your new set of keys. This will ensure a smooth move and less stress for everyone!
Sometimes the removal vehicle may arrive at the new property before you do. If at all possible provide the Removal Masters with a spare key to avoid hold up and potential charges.
Please ensure that suitable parking provisions are made for the removal vehicle. This can be done by contacting the Police, leaving cones or by placing your vehicle in the parking space until the removal vehicle arrives.
Make sure Removal Masters have all your contact details. Remember to inform us of any access difficulties- such as hanging trees, narrow streets, bridges, large hills parking restrictions and spiral staircases.
New property info
Check the dimensions of your new property, and whether entrances, doors and garden access are wide enough and suitable to accommodate your furniture.
Good luck with your new home!